When Mission Africa’s Jeremy Nash first went to Burkina Faso in 1996 there were only four primary schools for 43 villages in the Legmoin area. That number has now increased to 18.
There’s been an incredible change in education. Where illiteracy was once very high, at about 90% – it has now dropped rapidly, particularly among the younger generation. A huge opportunity now exists that just wasn’t there a few years ago: to reach young people with the message of Jesus, through literature.
The 4–14 Window
There’s a new term in global mission called the 4–14 Window – it’s a way of drawing attention to a particular need in the world to focus prayer and missionary efforts. The numbers 4–14 refer to children between 4 and 14 years old. There is a huge spiritual need among this age group and now is the time to reach them!“Look, I tell you: open your eyes and notice that the fields are already ripe for the harvest.” (John 4:35, CEB)
Investing in Young Lives
Sadly, church giving doesn’t reflect the evangelizing and discipleship of children as a strategic priority. As you think about how to invest your personal resources in mission – your time, money, prayer and so on – keep in mind that there’s no better investment than nurturing youngsters.
Research reinforces a simple, yet profound truth over and over again:
If you want to have a lasting influence in the world, you must invest in people’s lives; and if you want to maximize that investment, then you must invest in those people while they are young.
Sponsor a School
This is your opportunity to do just that, by sponsoring a primary school Bible correspondence course in Burkina Faso:
- You can sponsor a school for 50p per child
- Each sponsored pupil will receive a 10 lesson course and a certificate at the end of the course; the school will also receive a football
- You will receive the name of the school, the number of pupils, and the name of the correspondence course marker, so that you can pray for them
- We will endeavour to send you a photo (by email) of the class and the marker. You can then pray specifically for your school
- When Jeremy Nash returns at the end of the course in March he will try and report back how God has been at work in the lives of the children – providing individual stories and details
- It is possible than more than one sponsor will be assigned to the same school
Example: A £50 gift will link you to a school with a class of 100 children.
This project is a continuation of the ministry that Jeremy Nash is already involved in in Burkina Faso.
Last year we reached just under 3000 children in their final year of primary school – in about 24 schools. But that leaves around 379,000 more who are still waiting to hear