Did you know?
- Chad has the third highest rate of child marriage in the world
- Many Chadian women are caught in abusive marriages and contract HIV from unfaithful husbands
- Many women end up in prostitution in an attempt to provide for themselves and their children
- In March 2016 United Nations (Unesco) research cited Chad as one of the ten ‘most difficult countries to be born a girl.’ Recent news footage surrounding the horrific gang rape and exploitation of a young Chadian teenager in Feb 2016 seem to contribute to this claim
In 2006 our Vulnerable Women’s ministry started and focused primarily on building relationships and living alongside the women and their children i.e.
- Listening and honouring women’s stories
- Helping with medical and other practical needs
- Being available in times of crisis and distress.
- Prayer and chronological Bible Storying.
In 2016, ACACIA our Rehabilitation Centre was opened.
ACACIA follows a holistic syllabus which teaches income generating skills such as soap, card and jewellery making. We also Teach Life Skills, Chronological Bible storying and provide Counselling and basic Art Therapy
Our Vision (based on Isaiah 61v1–3):
- To see women’s dignity restored as they discover their true value and grasp God's love for them.
- Help women find heart healing after years of trauma and abuse.
- Help women find sustainable employment to support themselves and their children.
- Encourage the women to reach out to their own communities with God’s love.
- See the church engage with those who are marginalised and vulnerable.
I was going to kill myself. I was really confused. Now I understand who God is and who I am. I’m a person of worth, I have my Lord, so I have everything.
Sandra (pseudonyms have been used to protect the identity of women)
How can I help Vulnerable Women in Chad?
- Buy our products, handmade by women in the ACACIA programme (available at Mission Africa office).
- Raise awareness of Acacia's work in your locality
- Join a prayer group (or start one in your area)
Join Our Team In Chad:
Short and long term opportunities to:
- Teach Bible and/or life skills
- Teach arts/crafts/practical skills
- Outreach to women on the streets
- Offer Counselling/Art therapies to women
- Start a children's programme for children in the 'brothel areas' of N'Djamena